Continuation of Health Insurance Coverage by IL may seem unnecessary, but it is required under Illinois Continuation laws. The Illinois Continuation laws apply to employers or companies of any size and provides for the following:
1) spousal and dependent continuation of health insurance coverage;
2) written notice to the employee of his or her right to elect Illinois Continuation Health Coverage;
3) the employee bears a 100% of the premiums costs for electing the coverage;
4) the employee must elect the coverage within 60 days of the date his or her employment was terminated;
5) benefits for hospital, surgical or major medical are the same as that under the previous group coverage; and
6) the Illinois Continuation coverage lasts for nine months from the date of termination or separation of employment.
If you have any questions regarding the requirements for Continuation of Health Insurance Coverage in IL, then please feel free to contact us.